I've come to deeply believe that....
- Pregnancy, labor, and birth are normal, natural, and healthy functions of the body.
- Birth is safe; Interference (i.e. InterFEARence) is risky.
- Birth at home and at free-standing birth centers is safe for most women.
- Childbirth skills can be learned before labor and birth and couples should make the commitment to take the time during pregnancy to become skilled. More on the “Birthing Better Method®”.
- A woman’s inner wisdom coupled with the skills she has learned during pregnancy will guide her through birth.
- Birth is sacred. Each soul comes into this world for the opportunity to grow spiritually and with a specific life purpose. Every laboring mother has the right to have the spirituality of her birth respected and honored.
- The experience of birth profoundly affects women and their families - for better or worse.
- A woman's confidence and ability to give birth is either enhanced or impaired by her care provider and place of birth. Every woman has the right to choose the birthplace where she feels safest be it at home, birth center or hospital and the caregiver she feels most comfortable with whether it is a doctor, midwife, or an unassisted birth.
- Women have a right to give birth free of 'routine' medical interventions. Each woman's labor and birth is unique and will usually proceed at a rate that is healthy for mother and baby.
- Medical interventions are sometimes needed to ensure the health and safety of the mother and/or her baby. There is a time and a place for every medication and procedure offered at the hospital and medical intervention can be lifesaving when truly necessary.
- Safe, responsible birthing practices must include a discussion of all available options and obtaining the woman’s informed consent before any testing or procedures are done or treatment is given (barring time-critical, life-threatening emergencies).
- Knowledge is power. I encourage my students and clients to do their own research and to make use of their local library. Books from libraries all over the country are available via inter-library loan.
- Every parent wants their baby to be healthy. When I serve women during the childbearing year, my goal is to help each family achieve a safe and satisfying birth experience.
I encourage you to check out the Trust Birth Initiative. - For more information on their mission & beliefs, go to
http://trustbirth.com/beliefs.html - This Is What We Believe