Birth Doula care, Childbirth Assistance & Monitrice Services are available to support families planning to give birth at home or in the hospital.
Labor Assistant Services
Area of Service: Northeastern IL & Southeastern WI - stateline border area.
Lake & McHenry Counties, Chicagoland, Kenosha, Lake Geneva, Milwaukee Metro area.
During the last 3 months of pregnancy:
· Initial Consultation - a free one-hour interview. This is an opportunity to get to know each other, for you to ask me questions about my philosophy on birth, my personal and professional experience, etc. If we mutually decide to work together, we will go over my contract, sign it and work out a payment plan.
- Prenatal Visits - Two one-hour prenatal visits (one at your home), at least one week apart, are available for creating a personalized birth plan. I go over pregnancy exercises and proper nutrition. We discuss the choices available in birth and what your desires are. We also discuss what kind of support you wish me to provide as your monitrice, doula, or labor assistant. We practice labor positions and relaxation. I can also do a diaphragmatic release to help baby turn to the optimal position for birth.
- 24 hour on-call support - I am available for questions at any time before, during, and after the birth of your baby. Calls that are not urgent will be returned as soon as possible between 9am - 9pm. Sending an e-mail too with any questions is the best approach.
- Back-up arrangements - I will provide back-up in the unlikely event that I am unavailable for your birth.
- Database - consists of hundreds of files on health and birth topics and contains information, articles, and studies on birth options and complementary therapies.
- Lending Library - over 200 titles on natural childbirth, midwifery, women's health, nutrition, herbs, homeopathy, flower essences, massage, reflexology, acupressure, holistic dentistry, medicine, nursing, children's health, and vibrational healing.
Once contractions begin:
- Labor support beginning when Mom feels she needs/wants me present and continuing throughout labor. I will provide support at your home during early labor or meet you at the hospital when needed.
- Help making the transition to your birthplace as smooth as possible.
- Emotional support for Mom and her partner throughout labor & birth.
- Encourage & assist Dad/partner to participate in the birthing process at his own comfort level.
- Physical support for Mom throughout labor - massage, hot & cold packs, position changes, diaphragmatic release (helps posterior babies turn), acupressure, etc.
- Guidance in breathing and relaxation during contractions. I use Birthing Better skills.
- Explain medical procedures and answer questions.
- Strive to maintain a calm, peaceful birthing environment.
- Music - I have a collection of excellent CD's with both relaxing and energizing music that I bring to births. I love to sing and I'd be happy to sing with you during your labor and birth.
- Reflexology – highly effective at shortening labor and reducing pain. Aromatherapy Essential Oils are available to reduce pain & help you relax. (Labor support clients only)
- Other assistance as needed such as getting food or drink for mom or her labor companions, taking pictures, talking to relatives at the birthplace, etc.
- Immediate postpartum care - up to two hours of postpartum support to help with recovery and breastfeeding, and to facilitate bonding between mother and baby.
After baby arrives:
- Postpartum Visit and Support – 1 visit at your home to discuss the birth and provide breastfeeding assistance. Parenting and newborn information and resources are available.
- At any time after the birth, you can call me with questions or for resource referrals.
Labor Support / Doula Fees
Fees vary depending on services requested. Contact us for our current fees.
We offer economic hardship discounts on a case-by-case basis.